- 1 pound cleaned, chopped collard greens (bagged are fine)
- ¼ pound thick cut lean smoked bacon*
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or bacon drippings
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoons sugar
In the pot that you will be cooking the collards, brown the bacon, then remove from pot and set aside. Add the hot water, collards, salt, pepper and oil or drippings to the pot, stirring gently to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Open lid and stir in sugar and bacon. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes.