COMFORTING MINESTRONE SOUP
- Cooking Time: 40
- Preparation Time: 20
- 3 Tablespoons of coconut oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 5 carrots sliced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can green beans
- 2 cups baby spinach, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 3 zucchinis, quartered and sliced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon chopped dried basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup small pasta (I used elbow macaroni)
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, for topping
In a large stock pot, over medium-low, heat coconut oil and saute garlic for 2-3 minutes.
Add onion and saute for 4-5. Add celery and carrots. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add vegetable broth (or chicken, if you prefer), water, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and add kidney beans, greens beans, spinach leaves, zucchini, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper.
Simmer for 30-40 minutes - the longer the better.
While your soup is simmering, fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add your pasta and cook until tender. Drain and set aside.
Once the soup is heated through and you are ready to serve, be sure to remove the bay leaf. Place a bit of cooked pasta into individual serving bowls and ladle soup on top of pasta. Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.