- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 25
- 2 whole large chickens, cut into pieces
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 whole carrots, peeled and cut into pieces
- ½ bottle good red cooking wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bouquet of fresh herbs, thyme, bay leaf, parsley
- 1 fresh tomato, diced
- 6 bacon slices cooked and cut into bits (lardons)
- 12 small onions - peeled
- Salt and pepper
- Salt and pepper the chicken parts. Marinate the chicken in red wine, onions, herbs and carrots. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours
- Sauté the garlic in olive oil. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade. Pat dry and and brown the pieces on both sides.Pour in the marinade carrots, onions, mushrooms, chicken stock and herbs. Cover and simmer until chicken is completely cooked (approximately 20 minutes).
- Salt and pepper to taste. Add in lardons.
- Your house will smell wonderful because the chicken is slow cooked. Then, "le moment magique" … when you taste it. Serve potatoes or rice on the side and of course a glass of wine.
NotesLegend has it that the chief of the Gaules sent Julius Cesaer a rooster – the sign of valiance, during the Roman conquest. The cock was lean and aggressive, to signify the determination of the Gauls. Caesaer invited the chief of the Gauls to dinner, and served the very same rooster, cooked in wine.
Visit our website( below) and learn more, including French vocabulary.2 whole large chickens, cut into pieces
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Angel Acres Soup & Chili CookbookSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More