COQ AU VIN
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (8-ounce) chicken breast halves, skinned
- 2 (4-ounce) chicken thighs, skinned
- 2 (4-ounce) chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 3 bacon slices, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted dried plums, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp.
Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan; set bacon aside.
Add half of chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes, browning on all sides.
Remove chicken from pan.
Repeat procedure with remaining chicken.
Remove onion and carrot from marinade with a slotted spoon, reserving marinade.
Add onion and carrot to pan; sauté for 5 minutes or until softened.
Stir in marinade, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
Add chicken, bacon, dried plums, and bay leaves; bring to a simmer.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and for 20 minutes or until chicken is tender.
Discard bay leaves.
Garnish with parsley, if desired.
4 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup sauce and 1 breast half