- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 30
- 2 1/2 lb frying chicken, cut up
- Salt and pepper
- 20 pearl onions, peeled
- 3 T flour
- 3/4 lb fresh mushrooms, trimmed, washed and sliced
- 2 or more T olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 t dried thyme
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef bouillion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 T tomato paste
- Film a heavy frying pan with oil, heat til moderately hot, not smoking,and add chicken.
- Turn chicken frequently to brown on all sides.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add bay leaf and thyme.
- Place the onions around the chicken.
- Cover the pan and cook slowly for 10 minutes, turning once.
- Uncover pan, sprinkle on flour and cook 3 to 4 more minutes, turning at least once more.
- Remove from heat, stir in the wine and enough bouillion to just cover the chicken.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste.
- Cover pan and simmer slowly 25 to 30 minutes.
- Test chicken and onions.
- When they are done, add mushrooms, and simmer for an additional 4 to 5 minutes.
- Correct the seasoning, arrange on a platter and serve covered by sauce.
- Serves 4 to 6 people.
- Preparation and cooking time approximately 1 1/2 hours.
NotesAdapted from Julia Child.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
The Italian ExchangeSee More
Dad's favorite peanut brownies!See More