- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 coconuts
- 8 cans eveporated milk
- 24 eggs
- 8 cans condensed milk
- 6 tablespoons vanilla
- 8 cups light Puerto Rican rum
- Prepare coconut milk with evaporated milk - Cover 4 cups of grated coconut meat with 12 cups boiling water.
- Let stand for 30 minutes or until cool; then strain off milk, squeezing the coconut as dry as possible.
- Discard the coconut meat.
- Add evaporated milk and mix well.
- Beat eggs thoroughly until light and frothy and combine with coconut milk, condensed milk, vanilla and rum.
- Bottle and chill thoroughly.
- Since this is a thick and very rich drink it is usually served in small liqueur-type glasses.
- Makes about 28 servings
NotesThis egg nog is popular in Puerto Rico, other Spanish speaking islands in the Caribbean and Latin America. The first time I tasted Coquita was at the house of Puerto Rican friends.
I found this recipe in "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mimi Sheraton. Don't know if it is still in print, since we purchased it in 1968