- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 coconuts
- 8 cans eveporated milk
- 24 eggs
- 8 cans condensed milk
- 6 tablespoons vanilla
- 8 cups light Puerto Rican rum
- Prepare coconut milk with evaporated milk - Cover 4 cups of grated coconut meat with 12 cups boiling water.
- Let stand for 30 minutes or until cool; then strain off milk, squeezing the coconut as dry as possible.
- Discard the coconut meat.
- Add evaporated milk and mix well.
- Beat eggs thoroughly until light and frothy and combine with coconut milk, condensed milk, vanilla and rum.
- Bottle and chill thoroughly.
- Since this is a thick and very rich drink it is usually served in small liqueur-type glasses.
- Makes about 28 servings
NotesThis egg nog is popular in Puerto Rico, other Spanish speaking islands in the Caribbean and Latin America. The first time I tasted Coquita was at the house of Puerto Rican friends.
I found this recipe in "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mimi Sheraton. Don't know if it is still in print, since we purchased it in 1968
The Help Cookbook: Food and Friendship
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Sharing Christmas with FriendsSee More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More