- 280g cornmeal, fine polenta or fine semolina
- 85g plain flour
- 2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 150ml Milk
- 425ml buttermilk or natural yogurt
- 115g jarred chili peppers, drained and chopped
Preheat the oven to 200 C/gas 6.
Generously butter a shallow tin (around 25cm long) or a small roasting tin.
In a large bowl combine the cornmeal, flour and bicarbonate of soda and season well with salt and freshly ground pepper.
In a jug combine the egg, milk and yogurt and chillies.
Pour the contents of the jug into the bowl of dry ingredients and lightly combine, taking care not to over-mix as this will make the corn bread tough.
Pour the mixture into the buttered tin and bake for 25-30 minutes until firm and golden.
Serve warm from the oven, cut into squares.