- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- For the Flan:
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup feta cheese -- I would use goat cheese, but that's my taste
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch white pepper
- For the Shrimp:
- 1 pound, large shrimp -- peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- fresh chives -- chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Coat six 4-ounce flan or creme brulee molds with cooking spray.
- Bring some water to a simmer on the stove.
- Blend corn, half and half, and feta (or other cheese) in blender till almost smooth. Add the eggs, egg yolks, salt and pepper and pulse to combine.
- Arrange flan dishes in a roasting pan and fill with corn mixture.
- Transfer pan to oven and add the hot water half-way up the sides of the dishes.
- Bake 20-25 min. or till knife tip comes out clean.
- Remove flans from the water bath and cool 3-5 min. before unmolding.
- Combine shrimp, flour, and seasonings in a bowl, and toss till shrimp are well coated.
- Saute shrimp in oil and butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook just till well browned on both sides but not cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Deglaze pan with wine, using a spoon to scrape up any brown bits on the bottom. Simmer till reduced by half, 2-4 min. Add broth and simmer another 2-4 min.
- Return shrimp to the pan and cook till firm and sauce is thickened, about 2 min.
- Finish with butter.
- Plating - before unmolding, loosen flans by running the knife tip around the sides of the dishes.
- Position plate on top of a flan in it's dish.
- Holding the plate and the dish together, invert them so the plate is now on the bottom and the dish is on the top.
- Lift off the flan dish.
- Spoon shrimp and sauce over the flans and garnish with chopped chives.
- "Cuisine at Home #58 August 2006"
NotesThis is one of my most client-requested dinner party dishes ever. It plates up beautifully even if you're a novice. The flan can be used with other dishes as can the spicy shrimp. I've used the shrimp in Chinese spoons as an appetizer.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!See More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More