- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 5-6
- Preparation Time:
- 8 ears fresh sweet corn
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Freshly milled black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cherrystone clams (reserve 1/2 cup clam juice)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chives, snipped
- Corn and Clam Chowder
- 8 ears fresh sweet corn 3 cups milk 3 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth 1 tablespoon unsalted butter 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour Freshly milled black pepper 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1½ cups chopped cherrystone clams (reserve ½ cup clam juice) Salt to taste 2 tablespoons chives, snipped
- With a sharp knife, cut the kernels away from the cob and place them in a soup kettle. With a small spoon, scrape the pulp and milk from the cobs into the kettle. Add the milk and stock and bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, blend the butter with the flour to form a smooth paste. Whisk the paste into the kettle and season with black and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped clams and the reserved juices and bring to a simmer. Add salt and seasonings to taste and ladle into heated bowls. Sprinkle with snipped chives and serve.
- Makes 5 to 6 servings.