CORN AND CLAM CHOWDER
- Servings: 5-6
- 8 ears fresh sweet corn
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Freshly milled black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cherrystone clams (reserve 1/2 cup clam juice)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chives, snipped
Corn and Clam Chowder
8 ears fresh sweet corn 3 cups milk 3 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth 1 tablespoon unsalted butter 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour Freshly milled black pepper 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1½ cups chopped cherrystone clams (reserve ½ cup clam juice) Salt to taste 2 tablespoons chives, snipped
With a sharp knife, cut the kernels away from the cob and place them in a soup kettle. With a small spoon, scrape the pulp and milk from the cobs into the kettle. Add the milk and stock and bring to a simmer.
In a small bowl, blend the butter with the flour to form a smooth paste. Whisk the paste into the kettle and season with black and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the chopped clams and the reserved juices and bring to a simmer. Add salt and seasonings to taste and ladle into heated bowls. Sprinkle with snipped chives and serve.
Makes 5 to 6 servings.