- Cooking Time: 25-30 min.
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 5 min.
- 50g butter , plus extra for greasing
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 225g fine cornmeal
- 140g plain flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 x 284ml cartons buttermilk (or same quantity semi-skimmed milk with a squeeze of lemon juice)
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 230C/fan 210C/gas 8. Smear some butter all over a 23cm cake tin or ovenproof frying pan. Melt the butter in a separate pan. Tip in the onion and cook over a gentle heat for 5 mins until softened.
- Meanwhile tip all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Beat together the buttermilk and eggs in a separate bowl, then stir in the buttery onions. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix together until just combined and you have a batter.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin or frying pan and smooth the top with a knife. Bake for 25 mins until golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 mins, then turn out, cut into wedges and serve. You can make up to 2 days ahead and store in an airtight container, or freeze for up to 1 month.
NotesA great accompaniment for spicy stews and chillies, or just with a salad for lunch.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!
MidLife Road Trip'sSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More