- Cooking Time: 25-30 min.
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 5 min.
- 50g butter , plus extra for greasing
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 225g fine cornmeal
- 140g plain flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 x 284ml cartons buttermilk (or same quantity semi-skimmed milk with a squeeze of lemon juice)
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 230C/fan 210C/gas 8. Smear some butter all over a 23cm cake tin or ovenproof frying pan. Melt the butter in a separate pan. Tip in the onion and cook over a gentle heat for 5 mins until softened.
- Meanwhile tip all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Beat together the buttermilk and eggs in a separate bowl, then stir in the buttery onions. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix together until just combined and you have a batter.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin or frying pan and smooth the top with a knife. Bake for 25 mins until golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 mins, then turn out, cut into wedges and serve. You can make up to 2 days ahead and store in an airtight container, or freeze for up to 1 month.
NotesA great accompaniment for spicy stews and chillies, or just with a salad for lunch.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!See More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More