CORNBREAD WITH CHILE DE ARBOL
- Cooking Time: 30 min.
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 10 min.
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/4 c. stone ground cornmeal
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears of corn)
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large Chile de arbol (any hot pepper will do!) diced
- 1 1/2 Tbls. honey
- 1 1/2 Tbls. butter, melted and cooled
- 1 Tbls vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spray a 9 inch cast iron skillet with cooking spray and place in the center of the oven to heat.
Whisk cornmeal, corn, hot peppers, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl, making a well in the center.
Combine buttermilk, cheese, butter, honey, oil, and eggs in a small bowl.
Pour into the cornmeal mixture and fold to combine.
Pour into preheated pan and bake for 25-20 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
Cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing into wedges.