- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 (4-pound) cured corned beef brisket, trimmed
- 16 cups water
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pickling spice
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 (2 1/2-pound) head green cabbage, cored and cut into 1-inch strips
- 4 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 (5-ounce) jar prepared horseradish, drained and squeezed dry
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Place brisket in a large stockpot; add water and next 5 ingredients (water through garlic). Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 hours. Remove brisket from pot.
- Place brisket on the rack of a broiler pan or roasting pan coated with cooking spray; place rack in pan. Strain cooking liquid through a colander into 2 large bowls; discard solids. Return liquid to pot. Add caraway seeds and cabbage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes. Drain.
- While cabbage is cooking, place potatoes in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook 20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return potatoes to pan. Stir in parsley, butter, rind, juice, and pepper; toss to coat.
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine breadcrumbs and horseradish. Spread mustard over one side of brisket. Press breadcrumb mixture onto mustard. Broil 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve brisket with cabbage and potatoes.