Corned Beef and Cabbage
3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
3 cans low-sodium beef broth plus additional water
1 (12-ounce) can beer
10 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
10 small red potatoes
5 carrots, cut into ½” x 3” julienned style strips
2 small onions, quartered
1 large head cabbage, cut into 2”-wide wedges
1. Prepare the glaze and horseradish sauce (see below).
2. Trim excess fat from the brisket.
3. Place the brisket in a very large pot or Dutch oven. Add the beef broth, beer, spice packet, whole garlic
cloves, and enough water to cover the meat. Put the lid on the pot, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a
simmer. Simmer approximately 50 minutes per pound or until tender.
4. After the meat is done, add the potatoes, carrots, and onions; cook until the veggies are almost done
(about 30 minutes).
5. Add the cabbage wedges and cook an additional 25 to 30 minutes.
6. While the cabbage is cooking, preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
7. After the cabbage is done, place all of the vegetables in a bowl (except for the garlic cloves) and place
the brisket on a plate.
8. Mash the garlic cloves and blend into liquid; pour as much of the cooking liquid as wanted over the
vegetables. Cover the bowl with aluminum foil to keep the veggies warm. (NOTE: Reserve some of the
liquid to baste the brisket in the next step.)
9. Return the brisket to pan and spread the glaze evenly over the brisket. Bake uncovered about 20
minutes, basting often (add a little more liquid if glaze sticks to pan).
10. Slice the meat across the grain; serve with the horseradish sauce.
Glaze: (Combine all ingredients and blend well.)
1 cup apricot preserves
4 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 cup cooking liquid or water
Horseradish Sauce: (Combine all ingredients and blend well; chill.)
½ cup sour cream
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard