- Cooking Time: 225
- Servings: 18
- Preparation Time: 45
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausages
- 1 cup onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 cup American cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 lbs frozen bread dough, thawed and let rise for one hour (I use Bridgeford brand, 3 loaves)
- Brown the ground beef, bulk sausage and onion in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Drain the fat, then add the cabbage, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Saute until the cabbage is tender (about 5 to 8 minutes).
- Add the cheeses and caraway seeds and stir over the heat until the cheese is melted (taste-test for seasoning).
- Divide the bread dough into eighteen (18) equal pieces.
- Flatten each piece of dough into a round disk.
- Pile about 1/4 cup (maximum) of filling onto the center of each dough disk and then pinch edges together to form a stuffed round bun.
- Lay them, pinched-side down, on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Let dough rise for one (1) hour.
- Brush them with a little milk or melted butter and sprinkle with some kosher salt and caraway seeds.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Sauerkraut can be used in place of the cabbage.
- These can easily be individually frozen and reheated in the microwave oven or conventional oven.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More