- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 TB extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 TB unsalted butter
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 cups sliced carrot
- 1 1/2 cup diced celery
- 10 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TB kosher salt
- 2 tsp dried Oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp dried Savory
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 1/2 lb Ground Beef
- 1/3 cup Beef or Veal Stock
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 - 5 cups left-over Mashed or Riced Potatoes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmagiano-Reggiano
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil and 1 TB of the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms, garlic, salt, oregano and savory.
- Cook until soft.
- Stir in the tomato paste and continue cooking until the mushrooms are soft.
- Stir in the ground beef and the stock along with the Worcestershire, and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Break the meat up into small bits, cook until no longer pink.
- Pour mixture into a 3-quart casserole.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the top.
- Sprinkle with either Parmagiano-Reggiano.
- Dot with chunks of the remaining 2 TB of butter.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown.
NotesSo similar to Shepherd's pie, just with beef and this makes a larger amount than the shepherd's pie recipe does.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Babette's Test Kitchen
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
Halloween Easy Eerie EdiblesSee More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More