- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lb. andouille sausage, or other smoked sausage sliced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp. creole spices ( I use Tony Chachere's)
- 1 lg onion, chopped
- 1 lg bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large stems celery, split and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp. marjoram
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne or to taste
- 1 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 lb. shelled shrimp
- 1 1/4 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken stock (if making your own stock, peel the shrimp and boil the shells along with the other ingredients)
- Sprinkle chicken with Creole seasoning, and let stand.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan, cast iron or a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and brown 2 minutes, remove from pan.
- Add chicken and saute until brown, about 4 minutes, remove from pan.
- Add onion, peppers, celery, garlic, thyme, marjoram, and cayenne to pot and cook, stirring constantly, until onions are translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in rice, then add broth, bay leaves and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Return chicken and sausage into rice mixture; cover and continue to simmer 15 minutes.
- If it needs more liquid, I sometimes add some spicy V8 as it's cooking.
- Stir in shrimp, and recover and continue to simmer for about 5-6 minutes, or until rice and shrimp are fully cooked.
NotesI used to make this at least once a week for well over 4 years as it was a staple at the restaurant, and everyone at home were also fans.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Babette's Test Kitchen
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Recipes for VitalitySee More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More