- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lb. andouille sausage, or other smoked sausage sliced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp. creole spices ( I use Tony Chachere's)
- 1 lg onion, chopped
- 1 lg bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large stems celery, split and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp. marjoram
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne or to taste
- 1 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 lb. shelled shrimp
- 1 1/4 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken stock (if making your own stock, peel the shrimp and boil the shells along with the other ingredients)
- Sprinkle chicken with Creole seasoning, and let stand.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan, cast iron or a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and brown 2 minutes, remove from pan.
- Add chicken and saute until brown, about 4 minutes, remove from pan.
- Add onion, peppers, celery, garlic, thyme, marjoram, and cayenne to pot and cook, stirring constantly, until onions are translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in rice, then add broth, bay leaves and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Return chicken and sausage into rice mixture; cover and continue to simmer 15 minutes.
- If it needs more liquid, I sometimes add some spicy V8 as it's cooking.
- Stir in shrimp, and recover and continue to simmer for about 5-6 minutes, or until rice and shrimp are fully cooked.
NotesI used to make this at least once a week for well over 4 years as it was a staple at the restaurant, and everyone at home were also fans.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Jean’s Recipe File
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More