- Cooking Time: 35
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 30
- 6 cups Frozen hash browns thawed 2/3 cup butter melted
- 2 cups cooked ham diced -OR 2 cups browned breakfast sausage 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup tomato catsup or 3 sliced tomatoes
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with oil.
- Press hash browns on bottom of pan. They should be at least 1/2 inch deep as they shrink down as the crust browns. Drizzle melted butter over potatoes.
- Bake at 425F for 25 minutes until crisp and browned. Reduce heat to 350F. Sprinkle ham or sausage and cheese over crust.
- Beat eggs, milk and salt; pour over crust and filling. Return to oven and bake, covered, 25-35 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- In the last few minutes of baking, uncover and add a few decorative squiggles of catsup to the top or tomatoes with onion & pepper.
- Vegetarian options: Saute onions & mushrooms w/ a bit of salt & pepper. Use this in place of meat in the recipe. Vegetarian sausage will also work.
- Replace butter w/ canola oil and use the whites of 4 eggs with one whole egg to reduce the cholesterol content if you wish.
NotesA hardy breakfast casserole that travels well. Great for office pot-lucks.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
GAES PTO Recipes
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' RecipesSee More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More