- 2 Pkg Mixed Country greens (collards, mustard & Turnips greens) Washed and deveined if not already. found in the produce dept
- 1 Cup salt pork chopped or about 6 slices of bacon chopped fine( To chopped bacon it's best to put them in the freezer for a bit of time and then it's easier to cut up.
- 1/2 onion Chopped( opt)
- 4 Ham hocks or Smoked turkey wings or legs
- 1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBS Monterey Steak seasoning
- Pinch Kosher salt
- Water or any kind of broth
In a frying pan brown bacon or salt pork to a golden brown add onion and cook to transparent
In a large Crockpot heat to hot then add bacon/salt pork and onion mixture then add Hocks or turkey then top with cleaned greens ( the greens will fill up fast but try to mash it in there or wait until some of the greens melt down to add the rest.) Good pinch of Kosher salt and the vinegar next and don't forget the Monterey steak seasoning it just makes it so good. Add water or broth to fill to 1/4 the way up the crock pot keep checking through the cooking if you need more water or broth so as not to burn your Crockpot.
Try to cover with lid and stir every once in awhile, 4 to 6 hours of cooking time. pull out bones and extra fat from hocks.
You can also add frozen Black eye peas for a change half way through the cooking time.
I put Tappy hot vinegar on top when I eat it.
let me know what you think