- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4 (about a dozen)
- Preparation Time:
- One and a half cups of all-purpose flour
- A cup of whole-wheat flour
- One-half spoonful of salt
- Two spoonfuls of brown sugar
- One spoonful of baking powder
- Several large pinches of grated nutmeg
- Two eggs
- Two sticks of melted butter, eight ounces
- Two cups of milk
- A splash of vanilla extract
- A cup of blueberries (optional)
- Preheat your griddle or skillet over a medium-low heat while you mix the batter.
- Whisk the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and nutmeg together in a large bowl until they’re evenly combined. In a separate bowl use the same whisk to beat the eggs then whisk in the butter, milk and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and switch to a wooden spoon. Combine with a few quick strokes. Leave the batter a bit lumpy so the flour doesn’t over-mix and get tough. Let the batter rest for a few minutes; the flour will absorb the milk and the batter will stiffen.
- For each batch add a splash of vegetable oil to the pan then spoon in the batter. Bake until the bottom of each pancake is browned and bubbles break on the top surface. Carefully flip then bake a few moments more. Drench with butter and maple syrup then start your day with a big smile!
NotesI recently came across Canadian chef Michael Smith. I don't know if it has anything to do with my newfound affection for maple syrup, but as soon as I saw his Country Inn Pancakes recipe, I knew I had to try it. Now, I'm not a fan of sweetening pancake or crepe batters, but I followed the recipe to the letter (which is pretty rare for me) and was a bit worried about the "lumpy, stiff batter" part but the pancakes were not lumpy at all ... and completely to die for!!
If you're watching your waistline, be warned, there's a lot of fat in those.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Gluten-Free and DeliciousSee More
Surprise Birthday Cake
Citrus Pork Roast
Paula's Pecan ChickenSee More