- 1 package (10-12 oz.) couscous
- 2-3 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth, depending on amount of couscous
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 3 Tbsp. basil-flavored olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 fresh asparagus spears, peeled and blanched, for garnish
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced, for garnish
Prepare couscous according to package instructions, using broth in place of water. Let cool.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan or skillet over medium heat until hot. Add zucchini, peppers and dried tomatoes and sauté until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
Turn cooled couscous into large bowl. Mix in sautéed vegetables. Toss with herbed olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
Place mixed salad on a serving plate. Garnish with sliced tomatoes and asparagus spears.
Makes 7 cups (without garnish)
Per serving: 249 calories, 8 g. total fat (1 g. saturated fat), 37 g. carbohydrate, 7 g. protein, 3 g. dietary fiber, 331 mg. sodium.