Cowboy-Style "Meat Loaf"
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 1/2 cup chopped celery
* 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
* 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped (optional - I leave out for kids)
* 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, divided
* 2 cups mashed cooked peeled baking potato (about 1 pound uncooked potatoes)
* 1 cup regular oats
* 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
* 1/4 cup ketchup
* 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1 (16-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and mashed
* Cooking spray
* 1/2 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 375°.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 6 ingredients (onion through jalapeño); sauté 3 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup barbecue sauce, potato, and the next 7 ingredients (potato through beans). Spoon the potato mixture into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Brush 1/4 cup barbecue sauce over loaf, and sprinkle with cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until done.
Pairs Well With
From Cooking Light: Kidney beans and mashed potatoes are the hearty base to this zesty 'meatless loaf,' which is made flavorful with lots of peppers, barbecue sauce, and cilantro.