- Servings: 10-12
- 4 Cups leeks, green tops discarded, split lengthwise, washed well, and chopped coarse
- 1/2 cup Medium White onion, chopped
- 2 Tb Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 4 1/2 cups russet potatoes, peeled, diced and reserved in
- 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cups White Wine
- 4 Cups of Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- (This keeps them from browning)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 cups WHOLE milk
- 1 1/2 cups Half-and-Half
- 1 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- white pepper to taste
- thinly sliced fresh chives for garnish
- Sour Cream or Creme Fraiche for garnish
- optional - Caviar (Wasabi, Red or Black Lumpfish; I don't recommend Salmon)
In a stock pot sweat the leeks and the onion in the butter, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are softened DO NOTE LET THEM BROWN.
Add the potatoes with the water, stock & wine and the salt and simmer the mixture, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
Add the milk and the half-and-half and bring the mixture just to a boil, stirring.
In a food processor or with a stick blender (A Food processor works better) puree the mixture (You may have to work in batches) and strain through a very fine sieve into a large bowl. Stir the cream and the white pepper into the soup and chill. Serve with a dollop of Sour Cream and thinly sliced chives and for something really special add a small spoonful of Caviar.