- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10-12
- Preparation Time:
- 4 Cups leeks, green tops discarded, split lengthwise, washed well, and chopped coarse
- 1/2 cup Medium White onion, chopped
- 2 Tb Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 4 1/2 cups russet potatoes, peeled, diced and reserved in
- 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cups White Wine
- 4 Cups of Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- (This keeps them from browning)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 cups WHOLE milk
- 1 1/2 cups Half-and-Half
- 1 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- white pepper to taste
- thinly sliced fresh chives for garnish
- Sour Cream or Creme Fraiche for garnish
- optional - Caviar (Wasabi, Red or Black Lumpfish; I don't recommend Salmon)
- In a stock pot sweat the leeks and the onion in the butter, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are softened DO NOTE LET THEM BROWN.
- Add the potatoes with the water, stock & wine and the salt and simmer the mixture, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the milk and the half-and-half and bring the mixture just to a boil, stirring.
- In a food processor or with a stick blender (A Food processor works better) puree the mixture (You may have to work in batches) and strain through a very fine sieve into a large bowl. Stir the cream and the white pepper into the soup and chill. Serve with a dollop of Sour Cream and thinly sliced chives and for something really special add a small spoonful of Caviar.
NotesThis recipe makes about 14 cups, serving 10 to 12.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Breads and Pastry 101See More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More