- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 recipe Crêpes Salées or Savory Crêpes without Buckwheat
- Lamb filling:
- 1 lb Lamb leg meat. Trimmed of fat, and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 TB Ghee
- 4 scallions, sliced, white and light green parts
- 2 TB fresh dill weed, chopped
- 2 cups Pinot Grigio
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp Coriander
- Salt and pepper
- 7 oz Arugala or 1 bunch of spinach, roughly chopped
- Egg-Lemon Sauce:
- 2 egg yolks
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Juice from the stewed lamb
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 TB plain Yogurt
- For Crêpes:
- Make Crêpes and store in refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap until needed
- For Ghee:
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Allow the water to evaporate,
- Skim any scum from the surface.
- Once the milk solids begin to brown and a nutty aroma (Smells kind of like lightly toasted hazelnuts to me)
- Remove from heat and carefully pour the liquid into another container leaving the browned solids in the bottom of the saucepan. Stor covered with plastic till needed (Either in the refrigerator or on the counter... The parts that will go rancid at room temp were left in the bottom of the pan)
- For Filling:
- Add Ghee to a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add Lamb, Scallions and Dill, sauté until lamb is evenly browned.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine.
- Add Water and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered until liquid is reduced by half and meat is tender
- While lamb stews; blanch the Arugala in salted boiling water for 1 minute
- Add Arugala to the stew and cook for another 15 minutes or so
- Season with Coriander and Salt and Pepper to taste
- Drain and reserve the cooking liquid and set the lamb aside.
- For Egg Lemon sauce –
- In a stainless steel bowl whisk egg yolks and lemon juice together until pale and slightly thickened.
- Slowly pour the hot liquid from the lamb into the yolks while whisking constantly.
- Heat over simmering water, whisking continuously until sauce thickens
- Reserve 3/4 cup, combine with Lemon zest and yogurt; set aside.
- Assemble Crêpes:
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine Egg Lemon sauce (Without the zest) with the stewed lamb.
- Fill each Crêpe with about ¼ cup of the mixture; rolling each and placing in a buttered baking dish, seam side down.
- Bake crepes for 15 20 minutes
- Serve with Zested yogurt sauce poured over the top
- Garnish with thin slices of lemon and sprigs of dill weed
Notessay: Boo-tee Arhn-yoo
I use Pinot Grigio in this recipe because I am not familiar enough with the wines of Greece, except for Retsina, which I love, but I don't cook with it.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can EnjoySee More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More