CRAB RANGOON (OR SEAFOOD RANGOON)
- 1 8oz package of full-fat cream cheese,
- 1 package of imitation crab meat (I prefer the kind at the asian market)
- 2-3 jumbo shrimp cooked (optional to make Seafood Rangoon)
- 1 Cup of chicken broth
- 1 package of the thick eggroll or wanton wrapper (again I prefer the kind at the asian market)
- 2 scallions or green onions
- 1 beaten egg
- Oil for deep fryer or deep pot. Add enough oil to make it about three inches deep within the pot.
- I think the chinese restaurant I worked at added MSG, but I don't.
1. Dice shrimp and crab into small pieces/very small.
2. Cut scallions/green onions and put it in a separate pile.
3. In a bowl, mix seafood mixture with cream cheese
4. Add chicken broth as needed to soften everything a little bit.
5. add scallions to add color, so just as much as you prefer.
6. Mix that all together.
7. Get the wonton wrappers ready (If eggroll wrapper, cut into 4ths) by laying it flat.
8. put a spoonful of the mixture in the middle of the wrapper
9. dip your finger into the egg mixture and line the outer edge of the wrapper (I usually outline 2 edges instead of all four)
10. bring two points together to form a triangle
11. press the edges together so there is no way for the mixture to escape
12. continue making them until they are all done
13. Heat oil to medium/medium low
14. put one crab rangoon in at a time make sure not to fill the pot
15. cook on one side, turn it over when edges lightly brown
16. it will float to top when done, it should be golden brown.
use sweet and sour or chinese chili sauce as a dip, if desired
if you make a lot, and don't want to cook them all at one time: put them on a cooking sheet in a single layer and freeze. Once frozen, put it in a freezer safe container. Just take out as many as you need and fry as needed.