- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1.5 or 2 lb. large Dungeness Crab
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 5 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 4 scallions, cut into short lengths
- 2 tbsp. light soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/2 broth(I usually chicken broth)
- 1. Clean and cut the crb in half from the underside.
- Break off claws and crack them with the back of a cleaver(easy to eat later and let the flavor cooked through).
- Discard the legs and crack the shell, breaking into several pieces.
- Discard the feathery gills and teh sac.
- Put the pieces of crab aside.
- 2. In a bowl, combine rice wine, cornstarch, egg. Pour mixture over the crab and marinate for 20 minutes.
- 3. Heat oil in a wok on high temperature.
- When the oil starts to smoke, add the crab pieces, ginger and scallion and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- The trick here is to make sure the wok is heated very very hot before putting the ingredients in.
- 4. Add soy sauce, sugar and broth and stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until crab is cooked.
- 5. Transfer crab to a serving dish, Drizzle with sesame oil and garnish with fresh scallion.
NotesThis dish looks far more complicated than it really is to prepare. My mother and I usually prepare this dish for the family holiday feast. My dad especially love this dish with lots of fresh scallions and chili sauce.
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Cooking for a family in Korea: notes of an ex-pat wifeSee More
Skinny Mojito for Cinco de Mayo
Spicy New England Style Lobster Roll
Avocado & Swiss Sprouted Wheat PizzaSee More