CRAB AND CORN CHOWDER
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 small can yellow corn
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 8oz crab meat
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1. Grease a medium-sized pan, and bring to medium heat. Cook potato cubes until cooked through, add small can of corn, cook a few minutes longer over low heat, and set aside.
- 2. In another saute pan, cook bacon over medium heat until heated through, and add garlic and chopped onions. Cook and stir until onions are clear. Stir in crab meat and parsley flakes. Set aside.
- 3. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large stock pot over low heat. Whisk in flour until mixture becomes creamy and takes on a eggshell color. Continue to cook for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in wine. Dissolve chicken bouillon in milk; when the flour mixture is crumbly, slowly whisk in the milk. Mix well in order to eliminate all lumps.
- 4. When the mixture is creamy and hot, stir in bacon mixture, potato and corn mixture, and creamed corn. Add garlic salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Tastes great the next day, too!
NotesThis recipe is a huge hit with everyone who tastes it, even Marylanders picky about their crab soups/stews!