CRAB CAKES WITH CAPERS AND SWEET PEPPERS
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme -- chopped
- 1 scallion -- minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley -- chopped
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 16 ounces dungeness crab meat -- cooked
- 1 pinch salt -- to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper -- to taste
- 2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 7 ounces clarified butter
- 1 cup beurre blanc -- See Recipe
- 1/4 cup red, yellow, and green bell peppers -- julienned, 2"long
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives -- minced
- 4 teaspoons capers
STEP ONE: Making the Batter--
Using a small whisk, combine the flour with the eggs and milk. Strain through a fine strainer to remove any lumps. Add the following ingredients: thyme, scallion, parsley, and Tabasco. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
CHEF'S NOTE: Batter can be made a few hours in advance up to this point. Cover and keep under refrigeration, until ready to use.
Just before cooking the crab cakes, add crab meat and baking powder to the batter, combining gently, using a wooden spoon.
STEP TWO: Cooking the Crab Cakes--
Heat two ounces of clarified butter in a large frying pan, at medium heat. Using a two-ounce ladle, make a batch of three cakes. Fry gently on one side for two minutes, turn over and cook another two minutes. Keep cakes warm, while cooking the various batches.
STEP THREE: Serving the Cakes--
Spread 1/4 cup warm Beurre Blanc on each plate, arrange three cakes per serving and top off with the julienned peppers and chives. Sprinkle some capers around the cakes and serve.