- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryA fall treat perfect for halloween.
- 8 sm Red apples
- 2 c Granulated sugar
- 1 c Water
- 1/2 c Corn syrup
- 1/4 ts Red food coloring
- Remove stem from each small apple; insert wooden stir-stick, for holding, in centre of stem end. Set aside.
- Grease baking sheet; set aside.
- In 12-cup heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine sugar, water and corn syrup; cook, stirring, over medium-low heat for 8 minutes or until sugar has dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil, brushing down side of pan occasionally with brush, dipped in hot water to prevent crystallization.
- Boil, brushing down side occasionally but not stirring, for 15-25 minutes or until soft-crack stage of 290F 143C on candy thermometer, or until 1/2 ts syrup dropped into cold water separates into hard but pliable threads.
- Remove syrup from heat; very quickly stir in red food coloring.
- Immediately plunge bottom of pan into ice water and hold for about 15 seconds or until sizzling stops.
- Holding each apple by the wooden stick and tilting the saucepan, swirl each apple in candy syrup until well coated all over.
- Lift apple and quickly swirl over pan to allow excess to drip off.
- Place on prepared baking sheet; let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or until hardened.