- Cooking Time: 35
- Preparation Time: 45
BackstoryFood and Wine Nov. '94. It's my favorite Thanksgiving cranberry sauce!
- 2T veg oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 5 med. garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 c. fresh or frozen cranberries (about a pound)
- 1/2 c. dried cranberries (about 2.5 oz.)
- 1/2 c. (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 c. cranberry juice
- 1/4 c. (good) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 c. port
- 1 1/2 t coarse salt
- 1 1/2 t coarsely cracked black pepper
- 1/2 t ground allspice
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 nickel-sized slice of ginger
- 2 whole cloves
- 1. Heat oil in large non-reactive saucepan. Add onion, cook over mod. heat, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 7 min. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 min. Stir in all cranberries, brown sugar, cranberry juice, balsamic vinegar, port, salt, pepper and allspice.
- 2. Tie the cinnamon stick, ginger and cloves in a small piece of cheesecloth (I was out of cheesecloth, so I put the ginger and cloves in a teaball, and just added the cinnamon stick by itself, as it was easy to fish out later). Add it to the saucepan and bring to a boil over mod. high heat. Lower the heat nsd simmer gently until thickened, about 35 min. Discard the spice bundle and let cool.