- Cooking Time: 35
- Preparation Time: 45
- 2T veg oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 5 med. garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 c. fresh or frozen cranberries (about a pound)
- 1/2 c. dried cranberries (about 2.5 oz.)
- 1/2 c. (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 c. cranberry juice
- 1/4 c. (good) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 c. port
- 1 1/2 t coarse salt
- 1 1/2 t coarsely cracked black pepper
- 1/2 t ground allspice
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 nickel-sized slice of ginger
- 2 whole cloves
- 1. Heat oil in large non-reactive saucepan. Add onion, cook over mod. heat, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 7 min. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 min. Stir in all cranberries, brown sugar, cranberry juice, balsamic vinegar, port, salt, pepper and allspice.
- 2. Tie the cinnamon stick, ginger and cloves in a small piece of cheesecloth (I was out of cheesecloth, so I put the ginger and cloves in a teaball, and just added the cinnamon stick by itself, as it was easy to fish out later). Add it to the saucepan and bring to a boil over mod. high heat. Lower the heat nsd simmer gently until thickened, about 35 min. Discard the spice bundle and let cool.
NotesFood and Wine Nov. '94. It's my favorite Thanksgiving cranberry sauce!