- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
BackstoryA sweet bread that is better when wrapped in foil and eaten the second day!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbls. orange zest
- 1 cup whole fresh cranberries
- Glaze: 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl
- In another bowl mix shortneing, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and zest thoroughly
- Add flour mixture and mix well
- Fold in cranberries
- Pour into 2 greased bread pans and bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
- Mix sugar and juice until sugar dissolves.
- Pour glaze over breads while still in pans.
- Remove carefully from pans and cool 30 minutes before slicing.