- Cooking Time: 32
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place cranberries in a small bowl and add 1/2 cup boiling water, or enough to cover.
- Let stand until cranberries are plump, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- n a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and granulated sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating to incorporate after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients, beating on low, until fully combined.
- Stir in the drained cranberries and pistachios.
- Remove dough to a lightly floured surface.
- Divide in two.
- Roll each piece into a 2 x 18 inch long log and place on prepared baking sheet, leaving about 3 inches between logs.
- Flatten logs slightly with palm of hand.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat remaining egg.
- Brush logs with beaten egg and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack until warm to the touch, about 20 minutes.
- Place logs on a cutting board and cut crosswise on the diagonal into 3/4 inch pieces.
- Return biscotti to baking sheet, cut side down. Bake until biscotti are beginning to brown around the edges, about 12 minutes more.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
NotesMy mother was visiting for Christmas the first time I made these. She and everyone else fell quite in love with them. At holiday time where there are usually so many heavy desserts it's nice to have something relatively guilt-free to offer as well.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Adventures in Cooking
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More