- Cooking Time: 5
- Servings: 500g approx.
- Preparation Time: 2
- 300g Cranberries
- 100g Light Muscovado Sugar
- 100ml Port
- 1 Orange
- f you are keeping this sauce for any length of time you will need to sterilise your bottles/jars. Dishwashers apparently do this but if you don't have one (like me) then heat your oven to 120c. Wash your jars in very hot soapy water, rinse them in very hot running water (use rubber gloves) and then place in the oven until dry. Add your sauce/jam while the jam and the bottle are still hot. Never put a hot sauce in a cold jar or a cold sauce into a hot jar, it can break the glass.
- Put all of the ingredients into a heavy bottomed pan and put on a high heat to bring to the boil. When boiling reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer for 4-5 mins. You will hear the cranberries begin to burst fairly quickly, you want some texture so don't cook it too much.
- Pour into your sterilised jar and allow to sit for about 5 minutes then seal.
- You can cook it longer/shorter depending on your taste.
NotesEveryone has Cranberry Sauce at Christmas. It is so much better if you make it yourself, you can tweak it to your taste and it keeps really well. It's a great sauce all year round, I always have a jar on the go in the fridge.
You can make this up to a couple of months in advance if you want. Again, get as much done in advance so you are not rushing around on the day.