- Cooking Time: 60 to 70 minutes
- Servings: 12 slices
- Preparation Time: 80 minutes
- ¼ cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup water
- 4 cups flour
- 1½ cups sharp cheddar cheese (grated by hand)
- 1½ cups mild cheddar cheese (grated by hand)
- 2 cups halved fresh cranberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease two 9x5x3 inch loaf pans.
- In mixing bowl cut shortening into flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange peel.
- Add orange juice and water, blend in with eggs and cheeses.
- Fold in cranberries and nuts.
- Pour into the two loaf pans until each are 3/4 full.
- Bake in prepared loaf pans for 60 to 70 minutes.
- When done place pans on wire racks for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove breads from pans and let set another 30 minutes before wrapping them in plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 8 hours before slicing.
- When you prepare more than 2 loafs, place dry ingredients including shredded cheese, cranberries and walnuts in seperate containers until you are ready to make the second badge then repeat the process.
NotesWe have preparing Cranberry-Walnut-Cheese breads for Christmas since 1970, and our nieces consider this one of their favorite Christmas breads.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El JefeSee More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More