- Cooking Time: 60 to 70 minutes
- Servings: 12 slices
- Preparation Time: 80 minutes
- ¼ cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup water
- 4 cups flour
- 1½ cups sharp cheddar cheese (grated by hand)
- 1½ cups mild cheddar cheese (grated by hand)
- 2 cups halved fresh cranberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease two 9x5x3 inch loaf pans.
- In mixing bowl cut shortening into flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange peel.
- Add orange juice and water, blend in with eggs and cheeses.
- Fold in cranberries and nuts.
- Pour into the two loaf pans until each are 3/4 full.
- Bake in prepared loaf pans for 60 to 70 minutes.
- When done place pans on wire racks for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove breads from pans and let set another 30 minutes before wrapping them in plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 8 hours before slicing.
- When you prepare more than 2 loafs, place dry ingredients including shredded cheese, cranberries and walnuts in seperate containers until you are ready to make the second badge then repeat the process.
NotesWe have preparing Cranberry-Walnut-Cheese breads for Christmas since 1970, and our nieces consider this one of their favorite Christmas breads.
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More