- Cooking Time: 6-8
- Servings: 48-60 Depending on Size
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1/2 Cup Powder Sugar
- 1 Cup Butter (softened)
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup - Finely Chopped Walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3-4 Cups Additional Powder Sugar (for packing cookies)
- Cream together Butter and Sugar on medium spead
- Add Vanilla and Salt
- Mix until incorporated
- Add Flour, 1/2 cup at a time
- Mix in Walnuts
- Roll into small balls (depending on the size, I end up with about 48-60)
- Bake at 325 degrees until brown on the bottom of the cookies.
- The top of the cookie will be firm to the touch, but not brown when done
- When cookies are completely cooled, layer in an air-tight container
- Sprinkle Powder Sugar over the layer and repeat until all cookies are in the container.
- To serve, simply remove from the container with a fork and shake off the excess Powder Sugar.
NotesYou may know the cookie by a different name, the Mexican Wedding Cake or the Russian Tea Cake...part of my mothers ancestry traces back to Czechoslovakia and therefore the name Craviata!
These shortbread cookies, stored in air-tight containers soak in just the right amount of the sweet powder sugar when made for Christmas the last week of October. You won't regret making your first Christmas Cookie at Halloween, the Craviata will impress any guest!