- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 12-24
- Preparation Time: 30
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Select a prickly pear cactus and remove spines and outside layer with large knife.
- Cut pulp across in slices 1 inch thick.
- Soak overnight in cold water; cut in 1 inch cubes and cook in boiling water until tender.
- Drain. Cook slowly in the following syrup until nearly all the syrup is absorbed.
- Do not scorch.
- Heat all ingredients until sugar is dissolved.
- Add cactus.
- Remove cactus from syrup, drain and roll in granulated or powdered sugar.
- For colored cactus candy, any vegetable coloring may be added to syrup.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Cancun Grilled Chicken Tacos with Citrus Chile Marinade
Perfect baked potatoSee More