- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 12-24
- Preparation Time: 30
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Select a prickly pear cactus and remove spines and outside layer with large knife.
- Cut pulp across in slices 1 inch thick.
- Soak overnight in cold water; cut in 1 inch cubes and cook in boiling water until tender.
- Drain. Cook slowly in the following syrup until nearly all the syrup is absorbed.
- Do not scorch.
- Heat all ingredients until sugar is dissolved.
- Add cactus.
- Remove cactus from syrup, drain and roll in granulated or powdered sugar.
- For colored cactus candy, any vegetable coloring may be added to syrup.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Italian Exchange
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
Austin Personal Training RecipesSee More
Oatmeal-cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chicken with Roasted Lemon & Rosemary SauceSee More