- Cooking Time: 20-25
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup sweet butter
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 4 large eggs, at room temp
- 1 Tbsp. Cognac or rum
- 1 Tbsp. candied orange peel
- Confectioners’ sugar for top
- Cheese Filling (see recipe)
- For the cream puffs: Place the water, butter, granulated sugar, lemon rind, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, and as soon as the butter is melted, remove the pan from the heat. Add the flour all at once, stirring constantly and vigorously.
- Return the pan to the heat, and stir constantly until the mixture forms a ball and comes away from the sides of the pan. Continue to cook a little longer, until you hear a slight crackling or frying sound. Remove the pan from the heat, and cool slightly.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Be sure that each egg is thoroughly blended into the mixture before you add the next. Keep stirring until the dough is smooth and thoroughly blended. Add the Cognac or vanilla. Cover the dough and let stand for 15-20 min.
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls on a buttered cookie sheet, leaving 2 inches between the Sfinge (puffs). Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until they are golden brown. Remove them from the oven and cool. So that the cream puffs will be crisp, fill them just before serving if possible.
NotesA delightful Italian dessert - St. Joseph's Cream Puffs (Sfinge)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Brownies: Baking Outside the BoxSee More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More