- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 oz. pkg cream cheese - room temp
- 8 oz. unsalted butter - room temp
- enough flour to make rollable dough (approx.2-3 C)
- ...pick one or more (jarred or your own...NOT jellies, they melt too much)
- Strawberry preserves
- almond paste
- Orange marmalade
- poppy seed
- Preheat oven to 350'
- Line a cookie sheet with Reynolds parchment paper.
- Cream butter and cream cheese till fluffy.
- Add zest (if using)
- Add enough flour for a rollable dough.
- Chill 30 minutes before rolling. (next day is ok too)
- Roll to almost 1/4" -- cut into 1 1/2 or 2" squares.
- Put a teaspoon of filling in center
- Pull in 2 opposite corners and secure with a toothpick.
- Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
- Bake on cookie sheet - approx. 12 minutes.....until translucence is gone.
- The cookies will be very pale in color.
NotesThese are a "shortbread" type cookie. You can make them plain or sprinkled with sanding sugar if you wish.
Another recipe from Miss Dixon, 8th grade Home Ec. She had us make them with homemade strawberry preserves. My favorites are mincemeat, lemon curd and bitter orange marmalade.
You can add zest from an orange or lemon to butter and cream cheese for a nice light flavor.
A nice topping is 2C powered sugar, 1.5 T rum, enough milk to thin. Put in a zip lock bag and snip the tiniest corner. Drizzle on warm cookies.