- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 24-30
- Preparation Time:
- FILLING INGREDIENTS:
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- CUPCAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line (2) 12 cup cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- In large bowl, combine all of the cupcake ingredients and mix until well-blended. Fill each cupcake liner ¾ full and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until cupcakes spring back to touch. Remove cupcakes from pans and allow to cool on wire racks.
- In small pan, whisk 4 tablespoons flour with 1 cup milk. Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Combine 1 cup butter and 1 cup sugar in large mixing bowl. Fit mixer with paddle and beat butter and sugar several minutes until fluffy. Add cooled flour/milk mixture and continue to beat until mixture is creamy. Add vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Fit a pastry bag with a long narrow tip and fill with buttercream filling. Insert tip about 1/2 inch deep into the top of each cupcake and fill cupcake with buttercream. Set aside any unused filling.
- Place the chocolate chips in a small bowl. Heat the heavy cream over low/med heat until it just starts to simmer. Pour the cream over the chocolate chips and let it sit for 2 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir the chocolate chips and the cream until well-blended.
- Swirl the top of each cupcake into chocolate glaze, coating the top of each cake. Let the glaze harden for a few minutes (you can chill them, if desired), then, using leftover filling, pipe a swirl of buttercream on top of each cupcake.
- Any leftover filling is good on graham crackers!
NotesAs the daughter of a baker I was rarely allowed to eat commercially prepared treats. I had to eat my favorite cream-filled cupcakes at my friends' homes. Unfortunately, I didn't appreciate my father's baking skills until after he was gone. I like to think that this recipe was inspired by him.
Makes 24 to 30 cupcakes
I have also used mini-muffin pans to make a smaller ( and much more adorable) version.