- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI am not a fan of the fillings made with icing sugar and shortening. This recipe has been around for more than 50 years and is very good tasting and texture.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Heat milk.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt: add hot milk.
- Cook over hot water, stirring until thick; cook until there is no taste of raw starch.
- Beat egg, add milk mixture; return to double boiler and cook until egg thickens
- Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla.
- Cool before putting into cream puffs or whatever you are filling.