- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 cups chicken broth (or 4 cps water and 2 Tbsp chicken bouillon)
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup diced peeled yellow turnip
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove-minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dill weed
- 1 cup margarine or butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 lb cheese (american or cheddar work well)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- pepper to taste
- additional milk if needed
- Bring first 4 cups of chicken broth to boil. Add potatoes, onion, turnip, & carrots. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Add cabbage, celery, and green pepper, simmer uncovered 5 minutes. Add garlic, salt, and dill.
- In separate saucepan melt butter, stir in flour, cook and stir over medium heat until golden brown. Gradually add milk & 2 cups of broth, stir until smooth. Add cheese, thyme, & pepper, cook on low until cheese melts.
- Stir into veggie mix. Simmer for 5 minutes. Thin with milk if needed.
NotesMy Grandmother had gotten this recipe from a magazine and passed it on to me. It is one of my favorites.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More