- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMy stepmother made this soup for us on Thanksgiving about 10 years ago. It has become a family favorite and tradition as well. It just isnt Thanksgiving with out it.
- 2 tsp butter 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 lg onion 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cans (13 3/4 ea) chicken broth
- 1 can (1lb) solid pack pumpkin (no seasoning)
- 2 C. milk 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp salt 1 C. heavy cream
- Cinnamon Croutons:
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 slices of wheat bread
- Heat butter in dutch oven and add onion. Saute until tender. about 10 min. Add one can chicken broth and bring to boil. cover, lower heat, simmer 15 min. Ladle liquid into blender. Blend until smooth (1 min). Return to pan. Add remaining chicken broth, pumpkin, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and pepper to taste. Stir until smooth. Bring to boil, simmer 10 min. Stir in milk and cream. Do Not Boil.
- Cinnamon Croutons
- Blend 3 Tbsp butter with 1 tsp brown sugar and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon. Spread on 4 slices of wheat bread. Place on cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven @ 400. 8-10 min until toast is crisp and top is bubbly. Cut into festive squares or triangles. Serve with soup.