- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Flaky Pie Dough for a 1 crust pie
- Filling: 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large bananas, sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare and bake the crust following package directions.
- To make the filling, combine 2 cups milk, sugar and salt in a nonreactive saucepan; whisk to mix and bring to a boil over low heat.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup milk in a mixing bowl and
- whisk in cornstarch, then eggs.
- Return milk and sugar mixture to a boil over low heat then whisk about a third of it into the egg mixture.
- Return milk and sugar mixture to a boil once more and whisk in the egg mixture, whisking constantly until the filling thickens and comes to a boil.
- Allow to boil, whisking constantly, for about 30 seconds. Remove from heat, whisk in butter and vanilla; pour into a nonreactive bowl.
- Press plastic wrap against the surface of the filling and chill until it is approximately 75 degrees.
- Fold the bananas into the cooled filling and spread it evenly in the cooled crust.
- To finish the pie, whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla until it holds a firm peak.
- Use a hand mixer on medium speed or a heavyduty mixer fitted with the whisk.
- Spread the cream over the filling, making sure it touches the edges of the crust all around.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
The Naked Macaron
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More