- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Flaky Pie Dough for a 1 crust pie
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 coconut cream (ie. Coco Lopez)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted sweetened coconut
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare and bake the crust following package directions.
- To make the filling, combine milk,sugar and salt in a nonreactive saucepan; whisk to mix and bring to a boil over low heat. Place 1/2 cup coconut cream in a mixing bowl and whisk in cornstarch, then eggs. Return milk and sugar mixture to a boil over low heat then whisk about a third of it into the egg mixture. Return milk and sugar mixture to a boil once more and whisk in the egg mixture, whisking constantly until the filling thickens and comes to a boil. Allow to boil, whisking constantly, for about 30 seconds. Remove from heat, whisk in butter and vanilla; pour into a nonreactive bowl. Press plastic wrap against the surface of the filling and chill until it is approximately 75 degrees.
- After the filling has cooled, fold in 1/2 cup toasted sweetened coconut.
- To finish the pie, whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla until it holds a firm peak. Use a hand mixer on medium speed or a heavyduty mixer fitted with the whisk. Spread the cream over the filling, making sure it touches the edges of the crust all around.
- After covering the pie with the whipped cream, (you may add up to 1/4 cup coconut cream to the cream before whipping it to replace the sugar) sprinkle the whipped cream with 1/2 cup toasted sweetened coconut.
NotesTo toast coconut, place it on a jelly roll pan on the middle rack of a preheated 325 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Stir often so that the coconut colors evenly to a light golden brown.