CREAM OF LEEK, POTATO, LEMON AND DILL SOUP
- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 4-6
- 1 cup heavy cream or half & half
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 large leeks, white and 2 inches of green, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1 lb. all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 large leeks and 2 inches of green cut lengthwise into julienne strips about 3 inches long
- Salt and ground white pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp. water
- 3-4 Tbsp. finely snipped fresh dill sprigs for garnish
Prepare soup: Combine heavy cream and lemon juice in small bowl. Whisk until well blended; set aside.
Melt butter in large casserole over medium heat. Add leeks and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté, tossing together, for 3 min.
Add stock. Bring to boiling. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
Prepare garnish: Melt butter in medium-size skillet over medium-low heat. Add julienned leeks and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat for 1 minute. Add 2 Tbsp. water; cover and cook leeks until tender, about 5 minutes. Add remaining Tbsp. of water if all water has evaporated before leeks are tender. If some water has not evaporated before leeks are tender, uncover and cook until evaporated. Set aside.
Strain soup, reserving solids and liquid separately. Place solids in food processor. Cover; whirl until smooth; whisk puree into liquid. Return to casserole. (Soup may be prepared ahead to this point and frozen).
Stir in cream mixture and snipped dill; cook just until heated through; do not boil. Serve garnished with reserved julienned leeks and dill sprigs. DELICIOUS!!!