CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP WITH PUFF PASTRY
- Servings: 8-10
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh mixed mushrooms, coarsely chopped (cremini, porcini, portobellos and chanterelles)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 cup dry marsala or brandy
- 1 cup cream (half and half)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. Roll out a sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of about 1/8 of an inch.
4. Cut out 4 or 5 rounds that are slightly smaller then the soup bowls you will be using.
5. Place the rounds on the prepared pans.
6. Beat together egg and milk in a small bowl; brush the rounds with this mixture using a pasty brush.
7. Bake until golden brown and puffed, about 15 minutes.
8. Remove to a wire rack and allow to cool.
9. Bring the stock to a rapid simmer in a large saucepan.
10. Meanwhile, melt the butter with the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
11. Add the shallots and saute until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
12. Stir in the flour and cook about 3 minutes, stirring constantly; do not let mixture turn brown.
13. Stir in the mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes.
14. Remove from heat and whisk in the simmering stock.
15. Return to medium-low heat, cover partially and simmer gently for 20 minutes; remove from heat.
16. Puree the soup in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth.
17. Return soup to the pot and place over low heat; bring to a simmer.
18. Stir in the Marsala or brandy and simmer an additional 3 minutes.
19. Stir in the half and half and simmer another 5 minutes; taste and adjust seasoning; remove from heat.
20. Stir in the chives and ladle into warm shallow bowls and top each with a puff pastry round; serve immediately.
Serves 8 to 10