- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time:
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh mixed mushrooms, coarsely chopped (cremini, porcini, portobellos and chanterelles)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 cup dry marsala or brandy
- 1 cup cream (half and half)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 3. Roll out a sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of about 1/8 of an inch.
- 4. Cut out 4 or 5 rounds that are slightly smaller then the soup bowls you will be using.
- 5. Place the rounds on the prepared pans.
- 6. Beat together egg and milk in a small bowl; brush the rounds with this mixture using a pasty brush.
- 7. Bake until golden brown and puffed, about 15 minutes.
- 8. Remove to a wire rack and allow to cool.
- 9. Bring the stock to a rapid simmer in a large saucepan.
- 10. Meanwhile, melt the butter with the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- 11. Add the shallots and saute until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 12. Stir in the flour and cook about 3 minutes, stirring constantly; do not let mixture turn brown.
- 13. Stir in the mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes.
- 14. Remove from heat and whisk in the simmering stock.
- 15. Return to medium-low heat, cover partially and simmer gently for 20 minutes; remove from heat.
- 16. Puree the soup in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth.
- 17. Return soup to the pot and place over low heat; bring to a simmer.
- 18. Stir in the Marsala or brandy and simmer an additional 3 minutes.
- 19. Stir in the half and half and simmer another 5 minutes; taste and adjust seasoning; remove from heat.
- 20. Stir in the chives and ladle into warm shallow bowls and top each with a puff pastry round; serve immediately.
- Serves 8 to 10
NotesAn elegant, flavorful soup to serve as an appetizer for your next dinner party or as a warm side to go with your favorite winter sandwich.
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink RecipesSee More
Vanilla Caramel Nut Ice Cream Pudding (with salted caramel and hot chocolate sauce)
Candy Cane Fudge
Pancit PalabokSee More