Cream of Mushroom Soup
25 g dried porcini / wild mushrooms
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 a leek, finely diced
5 cups of mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/4 cup white wine
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 cups vegetable stock
600 mL pouring cream
Fresh thyme, roughly chopped
Salt, white pepper, and black pepper to taste
Sour cream and chives to serve
1. Rehydrate the dried mushrooms in a small bowl with 1/4 cup of warm water.
2. Melt the butter in a heavy based pan. Saute the leek until translucent.
3. Add the fresh mushrooms and saute for 3-5 minutes. Add the wine and saute for a further 2-3 minutes.
4. Stir through the garlic and add the stock. Bring to a boil.
5. Add the rehydrated porcini/wild mushrooms and their liquid. Season to taste and reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Add the cream and thyme, and bring to a slow boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Allow to cool slightly and process in batches in a blender/food processor until smooth. Alternatively, use a stick blender in the pot; this will result in a coarser texture.
8. Serve with a spoon of sour cream and chopped chives.