- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low-fat or fat free milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in flour; keep stirring until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat and add the chicken broth and milk, a little at a time, stirring to keep smooth. Return to heat. Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed to taste.
- Use in casseroles in place of condensed cream soups.
- Can be varied by using vegetable broth, sauteéd chopped celery, celery seed, or sauteéd chopped mushrooms.
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Hazelnut and Espresso Cookies
Southern Fried Pork Chops
Wine Marinated Pork Tenderloin with Braised Green CabbageSee More