- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ large sweet onion (about 1 ½ cup), diced small
- 4 small carrots, diced small
- 2 large ribs of celery, diced small
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 15 oz. can tomatoe sauce
- 1 10.75 oz. can tomato pureé
- 10 large Roma tomatoes, halved vertically, seeded, roasted (directions follow) and chopped ¼"
- juice of 1 large orange
- zest of 1 large orange
- 2 Tbsp. fresh sweet basil, chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- To roast tomatoes:
- preheat oven to 350F.
- place all tomato halves on a sheet pan skin side up.
- Drizzle olive oil over all tomatoes.
- Sprinkle lightly with Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Place in preheated oven until tomatoes are tender and skins are blistered.
- Remove from oven and let cool before chopping.
- Save any juice for the soup.
- Pour olive oil into large (at least 6 qts.) heavy bottom sauce pan and heat to just beginning to smoke.
- Turn down heat to medium.
- Add the oinion, celery and carrots and season with Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- cover and let sweat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cover and sweat for another 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and stock and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to just a simmer and let cook until all vegetables are very tender.
- At this point you can strain the liquid, puree the liquid or just continue with the vegetables whole...it's up to you, I puree the liquid.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato puree, the chopped roasted Roma tomatoes and the orange juice.
- Bring to a slow boil then turn down to a slow simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the orange zest, basil and cream and return to a simmer.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- I like to have grilled cheese with bacon sandwiches with this...
NotesI just like homemade soup, so when I want soup...I just make it. for a different dimension of richness, substitute Congnac or sherry for the white wine
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Home cookingSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More