- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ large sweet onion (about 1 ½ cup), diced small
- 4 small carrots, diced small
- 2 large ribs of celery, diced small
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 15 oz. can tomatoe sauce
- 1 10.75 oz. can tomato pureé
- 10 large Roma tomatoes, halved vertically, seeded, roasted (directions follow) and chopped ¼"
- juice of 1 large orange
- zest of 1 large orange
- 2 Tbsp. fresh sweet basil, chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- To roast tomatoes:
- preheat oven to 350F.
- place all tomato halves on a sheet pan skin side up.
- Drizzle olive oil over all tomatoes.
- Sprinkle lightly with Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Place in preheated oven until tomatoes are tender and skins are blistered.
- Remove from oven and let cool before chopping.
- Save any juice for the soup.
- Pour olive oil into large (at least 6 qts.) heavy bottom sauce pan and heat to just beginning to smoke.
- Turn down heat to medium.
- Add the oinion, celery and carrots and season with Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- cover and let sweat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cover and sweat for another 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and stock and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to just a simmer and let cook until all vegetables are very tender.
- At this point you can strain the liquid, puree the liquid or just continue with the vegetables whole...it's up to you, I puree the liquid.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato puree, the chopped roasted Roma tomatoes and the orange juice.
- Bring to a slow boil then turn down to a slow simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the orange zest, basil and cream and return to a simmer.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- I like to have grilled cheese with bacon sandwiches with this...
NotesI just like homemade soup, so when I want soup...I just make it. for a different dimension of richness, substitute Congnac or sherry for the white wine
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' RecipesSee More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More