- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c. cooked wild rice (1/2 c. raw)
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 rib celery, finely diced
- 1 c. finely diced ham*
- 1/2 c. butter (NO SUBSTITUTES)
- 1/2 c. flour
- 8 c. chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash garlic powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 c. half-and-half
- Prepare wild rice: 3 c. water to 1/2 c. wild rice and a little salt. Cook until tender (about 2 hours on simmer.)
- Sauté onion, carrot, celery in a little butter. Make a roux with 1/2 c. butter and 1/2 c. flour. Stir into veg. Add broth and stir constantly until thickened. Add seasoning, wild rice and ham and heat through.
- *I've used bacon in place of the ham, as well as chicken.
NotesYum, Yum, Yum!!!!! I don't think you can live in MN and not have at least one recipe for wild rice soup!!