CREAM OF ZUCCHINI SOUP
Cream of Zucchini Soup
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 onion (white or Vidalia), chopped
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 7 medium zucchinis, chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 15 oz. fat free evaporated milk
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
1. In a large pot, heat oil and sauté onion and garlic until golden, about 7 minutes. Add water, chicken bouillon cube, zucchini, basil, and parsley and bring to a boil. Let simmer 10 minutes, or until veggies are soft. Stir in evaporated milk, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Use immersion blender to puree. (Giggle like a maniac and shout "wheee!" as it does its job.) Heat another 10-15 minutes, uncovered, to let thicken.
2. Meanwhile, make Parmesan crisps: Preheat oven to 350. Place silver dollar-sized clumps of cheese on cookie sheet. Bake until melted and pliable, about 5 minutes. Remove and let cool, then use to garnish soup.
Recipe taken here : http://foodmusings.typepad.com/food_musings/2005/03/ny_recipe_cream.html
** photo by boomette1 at flickr.